Real Gardens Grow Natives: Design, Plant, & Enjoy a Healthy Northwest Garden (Paperback)
For many people, the most tangible and beneficial impact they can have on the environment is right in their own yard. Aimed at beginning and veteran gardeners alike, Real Gardens Grow Natives is a stunningly photographed guide that helps readers plan, implement, and sustain a retreat at home that reflects the natural world. Gardening with native plants that naturally belong and thrive in the Pacific Northwest's climate and soil not only nurtures biodiversity, but provides a quintessential Northwest character and beauty to yard and neighborhood
For gardeners and conservationists who lack the time to read through lengthy design books and plant lists or can't afford a landscape designer, Real Gardens Grow Natives is accessible yet comprehensive and provides the inspiration and clear instruction needed to create and sustain beautiful, functional, and undemanding gardens. With expert knowledge from professional landscape designer Eileen M. Stark, Real Gardens Grow Natives includes:
* Detailed profiles of 100 select native plants for the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascades, plus related species, helping make plant choice and placement.
* Straightfoward methods to enhance or restore habitat and increase biodiversity
* Landscape design guidance for various-sized yards, including sample plans
* Ways to integrate natives, edibles, and nonnative ornamentals within your garden
* Specific planting procedures and secrets to healthy soil
* Techniques for propagating your own native plants
* Advice for easy, maintenance using organic methods--Valerie Easton "Seattle Times.