The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights & Responsibilities (Paperback)
The legal information and forms every California landlord needs
Choosing tenants, raising the rent, returning deposits, and maintaining rental property--these are just a few of the things landlords do that are strictly regulated by California law. To avoid problems and hefty legal fees, rental property owners and managers need to know and comply with federal, state, and local rules, and use the proper legal forms. Fortunately, everything you need is in this book.
Rent control and eviction protections are blossoming throughout California, with even small municipalities enacting local ordinances that affect rent, terminations, and notices. This book contains a unique rent control chart that explains key provisions and gives information on how to learn more. No California landlord can afford to do business without checking for local ordinances and following them.
With The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights & Responsibilities you'll learn how to:
- screen prospective tenants--without discriminating illegally
- prepare (and enforce) leases and rental agreements
- collect and return security deposits
- raise the rent and change other terms of the tenancy
- hire, work with, and fire property managers
- keep up with repairs and maintenance
- restrict subletting and short-term rentals
- act promptly when rent is late, and
- terminate a tenancy.
With Downloadable Forms
Download and customize more than 40 essential legal forms, including a lease and rental agreement (in both English and Spanish), tailored to meet California law (details inside).